Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:46:42 -0600
From:      "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        "Ken Easson" <ken@justken.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which DNS server?

Ken Easson wrote:

> [about djbdns...]
> and i'm told i need two instances of it running - one
> for my internal servers, and one for my external - although
> the later i do not understand, since external lookups happen
> at the dns servers from my isp. (working great so far), i'd
> consider caching those, but right now... i've got bigger concerns.

    djbdns separates the caching and answering of DNS into
    two different programs: tinydns for answering and dnscache
    for caching.  They have to be run separately.  The problem
    is they both want to listen on port 53.  The trick is to
    tell dnscache to listening on the internal NIC, and tinydns
    on the loopback.  Then, teach dnscache to resolve internal
    network with the local tinydns.  After that, things should
    work.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

This message is displayed using recycled electrons.
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)