Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:37:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Doug Barton wrote:
> > If it's good to put metadata in a file seperate from the data it
> > describes, then the judgement of "goodness" is universal.
>
> This I disagree with. Insert obligatory quote about "foolish consistency."
>
> > We do this because it makes the data and metadata non-severable,
>
> See a later post by me on this thread where I clearly state severability
> as a specific, and desirable goal for this application.

Insert obligatory quote about "1 0wn y00r b0x".  8-).

I don't understand your severability argument.  Or maybe I just
disagree with it at such a fundamental philosophical level that
it just seems like I don't understand it.

> In this case, I think that the costs of synchronization are very small,
> and easily addressable by existing tools. Whereas, the benefits of
> severability are very great, and easily offset the costs of both not
> keeping them together, and the cost of actually performing and maintaining
> the severance.

I give: What are the benefits of having to downlaod multiple
files, rather than a single file, via HTTP protocol?

> > It also gets rid of the implied graph edge for locking of data and
> > metadata, which can lead to an undetectable deadly embrace deadlock .
>
> I agree that this is a factor we need to keep an eye on. However, I think
> that the problem space is sufficiently small that we'll easily pass the
> 90/10 rule, and may even get as high as 95/5 with little additional
> effort.

The current code partially solves the problem.  If 90/10 is OK, then
the problem is solved, and we can quit discussing it, as 90% of the
direct needs of people are satisfied already, I think.

> > All of these arguments apply equally well to bundling package
> > metadata with package data: conceptually, that metadata is no
> > different than file ownership, flags, or permissions.
>
> And here is where we would need to actually define which metadata we're
> considering splitting out where. I think dependancy data is a slam dunk
> for being split out into a seperate file, both because it's already been
> identified as something we need to know before we download the whole
> binary package, and because it is rather likely to change independent of
> the actual binaries themselves.

OK, you need to clarify what you mean by "file".  Do you mean
"archive content element", or do you really mean *file", as in
"down load this archive *file* and download this metadata *file*
seperately, and hope nothing gets lost or outdated".

> I'm studiously trying to avoid focusing on implementation details because
> I'd like to spend some more time discussing the problem space, but if
> it'll help us understand the problems better, I could describe what I have
> in mind in a little more detail....

OK.

But be aware that we may have different ideas of the problem space...

-- Terry