Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 05:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18810: Handbook 18.4.2 should refer to /etc/defaults/make.conf

The following reply was made to PR docs/18810; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To: jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:39:26 +0200

 Thus spake jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk (jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk):

 > The first two paragraphs of 18.4.2 need rewriting.  Something like
 > -------snip--------
 > Examine the file /etc/make.conf , which contains the
 > default defines for make which will be used when you rebuild your
 > source.  They are also used every time you use make, so it is a
 > good idea to make sure they are set to something sensible for
 > your system.
 >
 > To find out what you can usefully put in this file, look in
 > /etc/defaults/make.conf .  Everything in here is by default
 > commented out.  If you see something that looks useful, then
 > copy it into /etc/make.conf and remove the comment character.
 > For a typical user (not a FreeBSD developer), you will probably
 > want to use the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines.
 > ----------snip----------

 I suggest something different, such as:

 Examine the file /etc/defaults/make.conf, which contains the default
 defines for make which will be used when you rebuild your source.
 They are also used every time you use make, so it is a good idea to
 make sure they are set to something sensible for your system.

 If you want to change one or more of the values that are used by make,
 edit the file /etc/make.conf and add the variables with the new values
 here. All variables, that are listed in /etc/make.conf overwrite the
 default values found in /etc/defaults/make.conf.

 For a typical user (not a FreeBSD developer), you will probably want
 to use the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines.

 Example: Add

 NOPROFILE=true

 to your /etc/make.conf file.

 Alex
 --
 (Imagine a big "FreeBSD - The Power To Serve" sticker here)