Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:32:13 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way OT: How long does your box run for?

--On Friday, September 03, 2004 10:55:09 AM -0400 Bill Moran
<wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Most of the servers I manage (which are all intended for 24/7 access)
> see about 3 months between reboots.  That's an average.  Some servers
> are more aggresively updated than others, and are rebooted more often.
>
> The fun part (for me) is that this is all _scheduled_ downtime.  For
> the potentialtech.com server (for example) has about 3 hours of
> unscheduled downtime since Jan 1.  And that downtime is the result
> of a failed UPS at the colo facility.  It has 0 unscheduled downtime
> due to software issues.

Well, if you're ruling out scheduled downtime, I have a box that's never
been down since it was purchased four years ago.  :-)

'Course it started out as a RH 7.2 box, and now it's a FreeBSD 4.9 box, but
it's never had a single minute of unscheduled downtime. :-)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member