Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:56:53 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld static search path?

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:40:40PM -0400, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> Then how does ld find libraries in /usr/lib without me having to specify a:
> -L/usr/lib flag?  Seems that /usr/lib would have to be hard coded into ld
> or something?

As far as I know, ld hardcodes /usr/lib (and other search paths) for the
system libs; they are hidden during compilation unless you use -v.  This
is why you have to specify the path to static libs such as
/usr/local/lib/libsomelib.a, even if you specify -L/usr/local/lib, and
ld has /usr/local/lib in its shared search paths.

There are ways to remove the static search paths hardcoded into ld..

Of course, I'm not 100% sure of everything I'm saying, but this has been
my experience with static libs.  I always just refer to them by their
full path when linking.

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>