Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 03:39:56 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        black@bleep.ishiboo.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interface byte count insanity

>de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        82632 packets input, 39371 bytes, 0 drops, 0 errors
>        39371 packets output, 2178386 bytes, 154 collisions, 0 errors
>        inet 172.21.8.239 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.21.8.255
>        ether 00:40:05:41:10:18
>        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
>
>the packet counts are about right, but the byte counts are obviously
>silly.
>
>another oddity is the higher collision rate with the de card vs. the
>fxp card.  i saw single digit collisions for the same amount of data
>with the fxp.  i will re-run the tests to verify this behavior.
>
>do any of the current ethernet drivers correctly increment their byte
>counts?  would anyone be averse to expanding struct if_data to include
>more detailed stats on errors and collision types?  would the kernel
>and ifconfig patches be worth commiting to the tree (the kernel patch
>is particularly useful because it allows a modified netstat to run
>without being setgid kmem)?

   ibytes and obytes are handled at the ethernet encapsulation level, not
at the device driver level. The interface stats with netstat -i -b are
correct (I depend on them heavily, so I know this to be true). I'd check
your ioctl - I think it's broken.
   As for collision rate, that is entirely dependant on what you're talking
to on the other side. You'll see wild swings in collision rate depending
on type of traffic, speed of the machines, and type of ethernet controller.

-DG

David Greenman