Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:30:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASUS A7V-E Heads Up

I have a new (june,2001) A7V-E motherboard with VIA 686B UDMA 100
controllers that I could not get installed with an IDE Cdrom.  I
tried both a Sony CRX145 and TEAC CD532E but got MODE_SENSE_BIG
or READ_BIG errors with them that prevented the installation from
occuring.

I read in the archives about someone else who saw a similar problem
and resolved it by putting the cdrom on the secondary controller.
That did not work in my case.  I resorted to installing the hard
drives on an older computer and then putting them back into my
machine with the A7V-E motherboard.  This worked fine and the
installed operating system seems to be doing just swell.

If you're looking for hardware, just beware of this issue with the
ASUS A7V-E motherboard.  The release notes for v4.3 do not claim
to support the 686B south bridge controller and its obvious now
that the problem is related to the CDROM and motherboard combination.

Jon