Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:05:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        TeRrAc <terrac@cloudfactory.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD IPFW list <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd + IPFW

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, TeRrAc wrote:

>  Natd is in fadct running,

	With what options? It should be:   /sbin/natd -n fxp1

>  I know that is a bass-ackwards rulset, usually I have been testing it
> like:
>    00100 1849 185456 divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp1
>    00500   32   2404 allow ip from any to any
>    00600    0      0 allow ip from any to any
>    65535   83   5902 deny ip from any to any

	This looks OK...if fxp1 is indeed your outside interface.

>   It seems logical enough that all packets should first be diverted
> through natd (the 8668) through the interface, then passed without regard
> through the rest of the system.

	They are sent through Natd, then re-injected back into the
	firewall at the next rule number.

>   Do i need another divert statement on fxp0 to bring them back?

	No.  The above ruleset should work.  How are you testing to see if
	it works.  Can you get out from your BSD machine without using
	nat?

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.