Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2008 00:22:05 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to suspend/wake-up a FreeBSD machine?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:13:20 +1100 (EST)
 > Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
[..]
 > > On my T23 I have suspend/wake on lid switch off (in BIOS), preferring to
 > > have to use the Fn key to wake.  No other keys do that on mine including
 > > the ThinkPad key, so then called.
 >
 > ah yes :)
 >

 > > While consulting 'sysctl hw.acpi' about that I see:
 > > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
 > > which I assume reflects my don't-do-that BIOS setting.
 > >
 > > And confirming:
 > > # sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=1	# (or =0)
 > > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
 > > sysctl: hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: Invalid argument
 > >
 > > which makes sense and was expected .. except that since doing that,
 > > closing the lid while awake still just blanks screen, but opening lid
 > > now wakes the laptop from sleep!  No big deal, just slightly odd ..
 >
 > hmm mine reads :
 >
 > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
 >
 > dev.acpi_lid.0.wake: 1

Sorry Beto, I must have been dreaming :)  I have that too, but did try
'sysctl dev.acpi_lid.0.wake=0'.  With that, no keys at all but only
pressing the power button (not for too long!) will wake it up (phew).

Anyway, after a reboot - having noticed that since my verbose boot the
other day, each ACPI suspend/resume is VERY chatty in messages - it's
still working the same.  So eat this message ..

 > FreeBSD ayiin.octantis.com.au 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE
 > #1: Fri Jan 4 09:44:17 EST 2008
 > root@ayiin.octantis.com.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Happy new job ..

cheers, Ian