Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:14:58 +0000
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        tuc@ttsg.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

On Friday 26 April 2002 03:52 am, you wrote:
> It's not true that nothing's faster.  My ATI can redraw the screen in a
> small fraction of second under FreeBSD; as Tuc has discovered, this sam=
> operation might take months with an nvidia card.

There are drivers out now that work for 2d...=20

> Once the FreeBSD drivers are *actually* out, then the advice might chan=
ge,
> though I would still want to "vote with my dollars" for non-proprietary
> solutions, but that will be a mere matter of principle.  Right now,
> principle and pragmatics both strongly suggest avoiding nvidia cards
> whenever possible.

I think we had the discussion before about this... some people don't care=
 if=20
it's open source or proprietary, as long as it works and is faster...

> If I *had* to have the faster graphics, I'd get an nvidia card and dump
> FreeBSD in favor of Linux, but I don't, so I go the other way.  Actuall=
> getting nvidia to work under FreeBSD right now is possible but it is *n=
ot*
> easy.  I wouldn't do it unless I had a strong reason to do so and I
> understood what I was facing.

I'd agree it's not easy to get working right now, but that's not a permen=
ant=20
solution, and frankly, he already bought the laptop... so unless he wants=
 to=20
return it, there's not much of a choice :-)

Ken