Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:24:23 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some NIS questions...

Nathan Vidican said on Apr 28, 2000 at 09:09:08:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but using NIS services I can make the
> following example work (no?):
>
> FreeBSD Box 1:
> 	-runs as primary NIS server
> 	-exports parent dir of homedirs for all users via NFS
>
> FreeBSD Box 2/3/4/5/6/7:
> 	-authenticates users using NIS instead of /etc/passwd
> 	-has parent dir of home-dir's for users mounted over NFS
>
> Essentially what I'd like to do is maintain a single /etc/passwd file,
> allowing all machines to share the same user/group database; hence our
> radius clients, and our webhosting clients, and our mail-server's
> clients can all route to a single username.

NIS/NFS is fine for sharing users and passwords. But mail service can
be unreliable unless hosted on the NIS/NFS server. (Otherwise, eg if the
connection is temporarily down, mail to an NIS client will bounce
saying "no such user".)  There may be other catches too.  If your
NIS server goes temporarily offline, for instance, all the clients
will have problems.

For how to set it up, you need to export the home filesystem over
NFS (see the NFS manpage), configure the host machine, run ypserv
on the host machine, configure the client machines (you need a
file /etc/yp.conf and special entries to the password, group and hosts
files), and run ypbind on the client machines. ypserv and ypbind
can be run on boot-up by putting entries in /etc/rc.conf. More
details in the manpage for nis / ypserv / ypbind, which you should
read carefully even if you find a good tutorial.

As for tutorials, I've seen a good one somewhere for FreeBSD
but lost the location: try a web search. There's on on
http://freebsd.peon.net which I haven't read carefully. You
can also try the linux NIS howto (http://linuxdoc.org), but
don't follow it literally, read it only to get the general idea.

Rahul.