Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:51:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

> > Greg Lehey writes:
> >> If anybody can give me any reasons for using /etc/hosts, I'm sure I
> >> can refute them.
> >
> > - The box *IS* the primary DNS box for my network, and hence can't
> >   resolve addresses at bootup until after DNS is running, but needs some
> >   resolution in other parts of the system for starting up things until
> >   DNS gets running.
>
> Interesting.  What?  I run a name server without /etc/hosts, and I
> don't have any problems.  I contend that anything which requires
> /etc/hosts to be present is broken.

NTP, AMD, firewall stuff.  Heck, the default 'setup' assumes it can resolve
hostnames just to configure your IP address, so if you have an
/etc/resolv.conf, it needs to time-out in order to get your network up
just to get access to the DNS server. :)

And, if you screwup your DNS setup, it's not acceptable for your box to
not be accessible (due to firewall problems).

> > - The box is on a private home network made up of two hosts, and these
> >   machines need to talk to each other at times.  Setting up a DNS server
> >   is a waste of resources for a private network.
>
> Why?  What makes you think it's slower than /etc/hosts?

Because I don't have the resources to setup a DNS server on these boxes,
both in terms of CPU and my time.

> > - The machine in question is using a slow and/or part-time network
> >   connection, and while doing 'local' work with sockets and such
> >   (programming, etc...) doesn't need to have the link up, and/or doesn't
> >   need to be using bandwidth usable for other processes.
>
> All the more reason to run a name server.

All the reason to *NOT* run a name server.  It's rarely on the network,
so why bring the line up just to resolve localhost?

> > Could I run DNS and solve some of my problems?  Of course, but it'd be
> > like hammering nails with a sledge-hammer.  It gets the job done, but
> > it's way overkill.
>
> I think you're overestimating the effort required.

I think you are underestimating the resources it uses.  Do you think I
don't know how to set things up?  Do you think I don't have a clue how
much memory it uses?  C'mon Greg, give me some credit.

It's an *absolute* waste of resources to use DNS *most* of the time with
small networks.

(Both of my home machines have 16M or less.   Could I put more memory in
them, of course but that's money that won't go for fishing equipment,
and they work *great* the way they are.  Explain to me w/out using words
that M$ marketing literature uses what running a name-server will buy
me?  'Better, faster, less resources, more features, less of my time
involved, etc...'  These are issues that make me feel like I've gained
something.  Telling me "it's a better solution" that requires more work
and more resources w/out buying me any new functionality reeks of
'geek-dom', something we're trying to get away from in unix-land. :(

Nate