Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:14:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: wide chars? towlower, etc.?

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 03:49:36PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >   I did presentations at a couple of the Unicode conferences and
> > > in the process, looked at the multibyte/wide char issues in glib
> > > and in Tru64. It is my recollection that towupper and towlower are
> > > macros defined in wctype.h which should be part of glib-2.0 and
> > > later. the pertinent routine for the actual conversion should
> > > be towctrans(). You might want to take a look at the Tru64 docs.
> > > If you do not have them handy then use the docs mounted off of my
> > > webpage: 	 http://www.iisc.com/dunix/ARH9YATE/CHDVLPSF.HTM
> >
> > This should all really go into a "libxpg4".
>
> The contents of which has been folded into libc.

Either you missed or ignored the part about where I said
bloating libc was a bad idea in general, and bloating it in
such a way as to make upgrading with new software from an
outside (non-FreeBSD) source difficult is an intrinsically
bad idea.

Historically, we have seen this as, e.g., a failure to be
able to easily update the DNS resolver libraries to the 8.2.2p5
level (and subsequently, the 9x level, when it is soon released).

One of the biggest problems with network applications these
days is the lack of an asynchronus resolver library, such as
that which ships with 9.x.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---