Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 20:19:31 -0800
From:      steve2@genesis.nred.ma.us (Steve Gerakines)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy tape probe patch

> Hmmmm.  Perhaps fd should also poll.  On the other hand, polling the
> FDC is dangerous (the danger is only being eliminated by in_fdc()
> watching thoroughly for the ready-for-input bit), since many FDC's
> tend to lock up if someone requests ``unusual'' things (e.g.  SENSEI
> where no interrupt happened) from them.

Unfortunately looking at dio didn't help.  Apparently once a command has
been issued, dio doesn't change until a sense interrupt is issued and
you pull off st0 and the cylinder number.  This is why ft was blasting
sense interrupt commands until it finally succeeded instead of just
testing msr.  The timeouts seem to work fine for fd so I wouldn't bother
messing with it.  Guaranteed we would end up breaking something that
wasn't broken in the first place.  :-)

- Steve
steve2@genesis.nred.ma.us