Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2001 17:16:17 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   VN device and dd disk images

Hello

I want to install 128MB SanDisk instead of an IDE HDD in some of my
machines. The 128MB are enough to place a reduced but otherwise normal
FreeBSD on it. (So no need for PicoBSD).

I've got all that done and my prototype SanDisk is running fine. Now
for deployment I simply have a machine with a HDD and dd the whole
SanDisk into a file and do it vice versa to make a new SanDisk for
deployment.

All fine and good until I want to update some of the programs in the
dd image of the original SanDisk.

Now the idea of using the vn device crossed my mind. Unfortunatly for
some reason I'm unable to mount the /dev/vn0 device, either because
superblock not found or no permission.

Might it be that I did the dd image the wrong way? Which device do I
have to dd from the SanDisk to use the image for vn? Will I still be
able to dd that file back to a virgin SanDisk and boot directly from
it without any modification?

Any pointers very appreciated.

--
Andre