Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:58:36 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Joe Joplin" <joejop@triad.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lpd_enable not running on 4.6

At 1:42 PM -0400 7/3/02, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 12:08 AM -0400 7/3/02, Joe Joplin wrote:
>>I am running FreeBSD 4.6.  In my rc.conf file I have the
>>lpd_enable="YES".  When I run ps -ax | grep lp, I do not
>>see the process running.  If I print something with lpr
>>I get an error:
>>
>>lpr: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: Socket operation on non-socket
>>lpr: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.
>>jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>>
>>If I run lpd for the command line the queued jobs print fine,
>>but then the daemon closes.

Actually, after looking a little closer at that error message,
I wonder if you have some file or directory which is defined
at /var/run/printer.  When 'lpd' starts up, there should be
nothing at that pathname (lpd will create a socket there).

Might it be that you have installed some other port, and that
has it's own plans for /var/run/printer?