Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 22:55:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gtk FreeBSD and Linux

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Kenny Drobnack wrote:

# on a couple occasions now, I have downloaded source for programs that only
# had Linux binaries available and tried to install from source on FreeBSD.
# Most all of them have a configure script.  I keep running into the problem
# that it will tell me that I don't have to gtk installed when I most
# definitely do. GTK was installed from the ports collection into
# /usr/X11R6/include/gtk12/gtk
# ./configure gives the error message:
# *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
# *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
# *** your path, or set the GTK
#
# I got the same result after running GTK_CONFIG.  I eventually fixed the
# problem by making a symbolic link from gtk12-config (in /usr/X11R6/bin) to
# gtk-config. This makes configure happy.

Doing this will work too.

	export GTK_CONFIG=/usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config

# 	However, I still cannot get this thing to compile.  Everything
# seems to be going well until I get:
# "Makefile", line 295: Need an operator
# make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
# *** Error code 1

This is probably because the program needs gmake(1) to build.
Install the ports/devel/gmake port and try using gmake instead.

# Anyway, this most recent time I've had this experience is with the newest
# version of gnapster (downloaded today off freshmeat.net).  I've also had
# the same problem with a little program called Tuxcards.
# 	Is there some fundamental differences in make in FreeBSD and
# Linux, or is it the gtk? Oh yeah, nearly forgot. I'm running
# FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE, if that makes any difference.

There are quite a number of difference between gmake and bmake.
The only reason you have to use the GKT_CONFIG trick above is
because we support having multiple versions of GTK* installed and
renaming the gtk*-config scripts is the best way of accomplishing
this.

-steve