Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:34:17 +1000
From:      "Hugh Blandford" <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT: Apache Content Neg.  Chinese overwrites English!!

Hi all,

apologies for the off topic but I'm hoping someone out there has seen this
one already.

I have just installed the latest apache+modssl port with mod-fastcgi.

I haven't really changed the default config yet.  When I connected to the
server the first time, the normal 'It Worked' page came up in strange
characters.  After playing around I worked out that the Chinese page is
displayed in preference to the English pages.   If I set the language of the
browser to French or something, the 'It Worked' page is displayed perfectly.
If I rename the index.html.zh to chinese.html.zh (ie remove it from the
choices for index.html) and remove all language choices from the browser the
English page is displayed perfectly.  Even if I put English as my language
choice, I get the Chinese page.  This happens in both Internet Explorer and
Netscape.

I have tried various options in the LanguagePriority config line and it
hasn't made any difference either.

Apart from not having any Chinese pages on the server, does anyone have any
suggestions here on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Hugh Blandford
Island Internet