Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 2015 18:48:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching from MFI to MRSAS

--ph7gpDH09hwMSRS3Wg0R6w6bCG9KecFBH

On 23/09/2015 16:55, Tim Gustafson wrote:
> The FreeBSD hardware support page specifically says that the "mrsas"
> driver will handle the Dell PERC H330 controller (which is what I
> have):
>=20
> https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/support.html
>=20
> So that's what I'm asking about.  I have a newer card, which according
> to the man page is supported by the mrsas driver.  So my question is,
> if I "flip the switch" so that the mrsas driver takes over, will
> everything "just" work, or will I need to re-format my disks because
> the "mfi" driver configures the disks in a way that is somehow
> incompatible with the "mrsas" driver.

We've a bunch of Dell machines of the H730 cards, which are (I think)
the same chipset but with various additional bits like a BBU and nvram
and so forth.

Yes, if mfi(8) detects the controller but doesn't work (or doesn't
perform) then the mrsas driver is the thing to use.  It works fine as a
RAID controller, but there is no equivalent of mfiutil(8) for these cards=
=2E

Trim support -- or the lack of it -- is apparently a feature of the
firmware on Dell-branded SSD drives.

	Cheers,

	Matthew