Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:12:10 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        "'Jacques A. Vidrine'" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: realpath(3) et al

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:41:13PM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> > However, it is also one that
> > will boost the image of FreeBSD as well as make it more accepted by
> > third-party auditors (who I'd also like to see audit FreeBSD).
>=20
> Who are these `third-party auditors'?

There are a few who do security-related audits. I'll see if I can get a =
list
made up.
=20
> > Additionally (and somewhat unrelated), Linux was recently audited =
and
> given
> > the status "very secure".
>=20
> REALLY?  Wow, ``very secure''!!  I'm switching!!  (Tongue-in-cheek)
>=20
> I think we'd need deep pockets for just about ANY kind of useful
> certification, security-related or not.

We probably would. This is why I'm suggesting that it become something =
we
stick on the front page of freebsd.org/freebsdfoundation.org. Since =
FreeBSD
is a not-for-profit organization (as Chris Odell pointed out) I think =
it'd
actually be attractive for people (and corporations using FreeBSD) to =
donate
as it would be tax-deductible. It just needs to be made well-known that =
this
is a goal of the Foundation, and I think people will be willing to =
donate to
it. We've already had $300 of pledges today :)

--Devon