Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:31:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        wmoran@potentialtech.com
Subject:   Re: SARS (was: anyone notice what os the #1 hosting provider is using?)

> The media is treating it like Y2k.  Recently, there's a weekly story on TV
> and radio news about someone with "SARS-like symptoms".  My question is, what
> makes them SARS-like symptoms?  I thought one of the big problems with SARS is
> that, short of death, its symptoms are identical to those of the flu.

Don't be so quick to rule out death being caused by the humble flu virus.
Until this century flu was one of the big killers of mankind, and flu
researchers are constantly on the watch for signs that the virus may
revert to the pandemic form last seen in the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918
which killed an estimated 20-40 million people globally.

Cheers,

Viktor