Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 18:39:41 +0200
From:      fvdelius@t-online.de (Felix von Delius)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Martin Kruse Jensen <loproc@loproc.dk>
Subject:   Re: Problems with Matrox G450 Dualhead

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 23:52, Martin Kruse Jensen wrote:
> I just installed my very first FreeBSD, but I have a little problem with my
> X configuration. Which driver should I use to get my Matrox G450 dualhead
> pci card working? Using FreeBSD-4.8 and XFree86 4.3.0

It depends on which mode you want to use your Matrox card: configuring it
single-headed with an analog monitor should be relatively easy and is
exhaustively described in the FreeBSD handbook.

To make use of the more advanced features of your Matrox card (dual-head or
the DVI connector), you have to install the "mga_hal" module which is only
available as linux binary from Matrox (www.matrox.com). The binary Linux
driver for XFree 4.2.0 works fine for FreeBSD XFree 4.3.0. Just place the
file mga_hal_drv.o in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/.

After this, you have to configure the dualhead mode. On XFree86 this mode is
called "Xinerama" and installation is exhaustively described in this HOWTO:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO/

One hint while you fiddle around with your XF86Config: don't be too impatient
when starting the server with a test configuration. Your machine may seem zo
be frozen, but after a half a minute or so it still gets a picture and in the
XFree86.0.log you can find warnings that show you what took so long and
remove/change this.

Here a dualhead G550 is working fine in a dualhead configuration with a 19"
CRT besides a 17" DVI-TFT under FreeBSD 4.8. If it helps you, I can send you
my XF86Config file.

cheers,
  Felix
--
public class main Hello {
    System.out.println("Java is for people that like to type a lot.");