Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:35:36 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        Jean-Luc HILAIRE <HILAIRE_Jean-Luc@seac.pf>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journalised filesystem

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:58:54AM -1000, Jean-Luc HILAIRE wrote:

>    hello everybody,
>
>    I intend to install FreeBSD on a new server and I am looking for a
>    solution with a Journalised FileSystem (I know, among others, ReiserFS
>    under Linux) but I didn't see any mention of that kind of
>    implementation under FreeBSD reading the HandBook ...
>    Would be very happy smbd point me to infos on that subject, THKS
> -- JL

You would do better to use soft updates, an FFS extension which is more
reliable and faster than most journaling file systems. Unlike ReiserFS,
which seems to be in denial, FFS with soft updates still has a
filesystem checker (fsck). ReiserFS people are too arrogant to admit
that every filesystem would do well to employ a filesystem checker.

Essentially, soft updates guarantees the only inconsistencies on a
filesystem are misallocated inodes or blocks, making the check a very
quick process. I can fsck an entire 20G drive in under 5 minutes; with
Linux ext2, a check takes 15-20 minutes.

In addition, it is safe to mount a "dirty" filesystem with softupdates.
fsck can be run at one's convenience.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org