Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:34:52 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pkg_add + mysql : specifying where it's installed ?

Hi - I'm trying to install mysql. I'm on 3.4 and making use of mysql-
server-3.22.27.tgz from the packages directory of one of the CD's.

I mkdir'd /usr/local/mysql,  cd'd into it, and ran pkg_add.

This process seemed to go OK except that there were some
messages such as

No processes matching mysqld
pkg_add : command 'usr/bin/killall mysqld' failed

However my main problem is that nothing was put into
/usr/local/mysql (literally the directory is empty at the end of the
install process) but instead files get put into a range of areas more
or less directly off /usr/local (eg mysqld is in /usr/local/libexec/).

I've now re-run it, again from /usr/local/mysql but this time using
the pkg_add -p option with a value of '/usr/local/mysql'. This seems
to have achieved more of my aim, ie there is stuff at
/usr/local/mysql and below (although there is clearly mysql stuff
at,eg, /usr/local/lib).

So my questions are ... am I doing something wrong (should I
_have_ to use -p) ? ... or am i wanting the "wrong" thing (ie is
trying to strictly partition packages not a good idea and this is
reflected in pkg_add's default behaviour) ?

(BTW I've read ...

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_toc
.html#Installation_layouts

... and this seems to suggest that what I'm trying to do is not
totally unusual.)

All thoughts welcome.

Regards

Richard Shea.