Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:58:28 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer), sos@freebsd.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet in.h ip_fw.h ip_input.c ip_output.c

divert sockets could always be turned into a pointer-chaining module (as
should the IPFW hook itslef.

  From: Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>

  > > > context switches are just not going to cut it...
  > though sometimes you need to do things with packets that
  > require interaction with a database of reading from files etc..
  > I put it to you that having a general way of getting the packets
  > out of the kernel is  better than adding bloat IN the kernel to
  > do these things.

  No reason we can't have both; then everybody's happy :-)

  I like Soren's "pointer chaining" idea .. as long as divert sockets
  are retained. Then you can use the kernel to do something if it
  is suitable (and/or you need performance), or if not, then you can
  always do it in user mode.

  User mode is also good for testing & debugging new things.

  -Archie

  Archie L. Cobbs, archie@whistle.com  *  Whistle Communications Corporation