Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:17:30 +0200
From:      "Philip S. Schulz" <ph.schulz@gmx.de>
To:        Joost Bekkers <joost@jodocus.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: measuring avg cpu speed while powerd(8) is running

Joost Bekkers wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 07:33:02PM +0200, Philip S. Schulz wrote:
>
>>Joost Bekkers wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to calculate (over eg. a 5 minute interval) the average
>>>amount the cpu was throttled? In this case by powerd(8).

[...]
> Perhaps I should have said that differently: it is being throttled by powerd.
> It doesn't have to do the measuring of the average itself.

So you're looking for a history of the CPU frequency, similar to the
history of CPU usage? I don't think the kernel keeps any such
statistics. But you should take a look at the man page or possibly the
sources of the driver you're using, e.g. est or powernow.

>>>I was thinking there might be a counter/timer which is linked to the cpu
>>>clock, but sofar I haven't been able to find one.
>>
>>Well, you can see the current CPU frequency by looking at dev.cpu.0.freq
>>where 0 is the id of the CPU you want to query.
>
> At the times I take measurements the cpu tends to run at 100%, which would
> result in a nice flat line.

I don't really understand what you mean. What problem are you trying to
solve?