Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:55:20 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Java gurus around ?

Hello,

a bit off topic but as we got so much bright heads here .... :-)

The company I work for got a java application which uses Apache
and Tomcat 4x as application server. Also used is Javagroups to
provide session state between machines. So far this was run on
Solaris Sparc hardware and we have no seen the issues we see now
on Linux (baeh, I want to run FreeBSD /rude Oracle, require
Oracle 9i libs because of Oracle RAC, libs are being used
from Java to connect).

On Linux we see the process of Java grow tremendous over the
size under Solaris. The bigger problem we see is that memory
does not seem to be freed. Garbage collection shows plenty of
activity but, the process size stays large and after running a
load test (which gets the process size high), then wait 30-40
minutes, start another load test, the process size grows immediatly,
which indicates the old memory allocation isn't reused. So
something is keeping the memory in use, although not activily
touched (Linux starts to swap it out).

Now what I am looking for is some form of memory allocation map
dump. Something which can tell us what objects maybe have things
allocated, so that I can give our developers some hints what
direction to look at.

So, Java Gurus, any idea ? (me prays for a good answer).

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://seven.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html