Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:40:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-chat)
Subject:   Re: funny repair remark

> >That would be the only US company to win two Malcolm Baldridge
> >awards... that Solectron, right?
>
> I have no idea. Certainly their behavior in this case does not
> suggest that they deserved any such award.

Well, then you know to whom you can complain: IBM, Solectron,
and the awards people; I personally don't represent any of
those, so it's little use to vent at me.

> > > Well, the ThinkPads with the MWave modem are particularly difficult
> > > to use with FreeBSD. (By the way, has anyone here had any success
> > > getting the MWave's Sound Blaster emulation code loaded under
> > > FreeBSD? I haven't been able to do it yet.)
> >
> >Doug Ambrisko has everything working on his ThinkPad, including
> >the wireless ethernet and DVD player.
>
> Is it one with an MWave? Does sound work? Does the internal modem?

I doubt he would buy hardware that was legally encumbered to
the point that, even if you reverse engineered the interfaces
to download a CODEC, you wouldn't have legal access to the
CODEC.

I suspect that if it has an MWave card, it is being used solely
as a DSP for sound, and not as a (cruddy) modem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.