Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:33:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Elwaleed Khafagy <wd145@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ask for information

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:57:12AM -0700, Elwaleed Khafagy wrote:

> i can not tell you how happy we am to use free BSD
> but i need some information .
> I am from egypt and our language is arabic , so our
> company really need to know how to make free BSD
> support for arabic .
> we have informix database on our server and sometimes
> we need to use arabic .
> would you please tell me if there is a way to make
> free BSD support arabic

As far as I can tell, there is no support for an Arabic language
locale in the base system.  However many ports exist with Arabic
support -- eg. OpenOffice.  There is an arabic category in the ports
-- mostly containing a number of Arabic fonts.

I wasn't aware that Informix databases were available or supported
under FreeBSD -- perhaps this is a Linux version of Informix being run
under emulation?  Anyhow, I'd expect that IBM as the vendors of
Informix software would be good people to ask about localization
support.  I can state for certain that the two biggest free RDBMS
available -- MySQL and PostgeSQL -- both provide excellent support for
many different languages.

Certainly, there is no problem with such things as hosting (or
viewing) Arabic language web sites under FreeBSD -- all of the web
application programming languages do support Arabic in principle,
although examples and localized documentation may be hard to come by.

FreeBSD depends entirely on people donating their time and expertise
for all of its code development, web sites and documentation.  As far
as I can see there is no ongoing project to translate FreeBSD
documentation and other material into Arabic, or to provide an Arabic
locale in the base system.  However, anyone stepping forward and
volunteering to produce such things would be welcomed with open arms.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way