Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:33:04 +0000
From:      John Murphy <sub01@freeode.co.uk>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shell Games

jlewis1957@netscape.net (Jeff Lewis) wrote:

>Perl has existed a lot longer in the unix world than the MS world.
>Why not script everything in that?

Why not indeed.  You can choose to write "everything" in perl but
the OS can run on hardware where there wouldn't be room for it and;
where scripts do their job perfectly well with a small shell, I doubt
much would be gained by re-writing them.

Also, FreeBSD is trying to use *less* GPL code.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your web server project.  You've certainly made
a good choice of OS.  The Fine Handbook will help you install and
configure the various programs you'll need, but documentation on
their usage, in greater depth, would be found on their respective
web sites.

--
John.