Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:51:55 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Jordan Breeding <jordan.breeding@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making <del> and <bksp> different in sc(1)?

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:03:57 -0600
> From: Jordan Breeding <jordan.breeding@attbi.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Making <del> and <bksp> different in sc(1)?
>
> Is there a way in sc(1) to allow <bksp> to remove characters to the left
> and <del> to delete characters to the left instead of both keys removing
> characters to the left?  Thanks for any help.

    Hi Jordan,

    there are two things that could cause the Delete key remove a char
    to the left of the cursor in the console (that I'm aware of):

    1) The key sends ^H, which is Backspace.
    2) Your shell is configured to remove a char to the left of the
       cursor when it receives both ^H and ^? (Delete).

    You can find out the code by typing ^V (Ctrl and V at once) and
    then pressing the Delete key. If it shows "^?" (w/o the quotes),
    you have to look at your shell's manual. I'm 99% sure this is the
    case, since Delete has been sending ^? since I remember, but both
    tcsh-6.0.1[01] and zsh-4.0.[24] are misconfigured just the way
    you describe.

    Unfortunately, I don't remember the fix for tcsh, and haven't
    fixed this in my zsh yet.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
12:43PM up 3 days, 19:07, 3 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00