Date:      Mon, 25 May 2009 00:33:39 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps says process has been running for 49710 days

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>wrote:

> I use "/bin/ps -www -ax -eo 'pid etime args'" to see how long a
> process has been running. This usually works fine, but I sometimes see
> things like:
>
> 17469 49710-06:28:15 /usr/bin/fly -q -i [...]
>
> indicating a process has been running for 49710+ days.
>
> I originally thought that was the time from the Unix epoch, but it's
> actually near 13 Dec 1901.
>
> I can easily workaround this, but was curious if anyone knew more about it?

I use PC Engines ALIX boards who don't have a CMOS battery to keep hardware
clock on times there is no power on the board.

Because of that you have to set the clock on bootup by some means such as
ntpd or ntpdate.  If a shell is currently open when the time is set, you get
some weird numbers too.

So my question to you is if this is a board that has the same hardware
problems?

Is it a bad RTC that prevents accurate timekeeping?  need to tune
kern.clockrate?
tune kern.timecounter.choice?

Good luck.