Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:18:21 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@easynet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote cvs access

On 28 Jun 2001, at 20:51, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I used to connect to an anoncvs server from my laptop through my
> gateway. it ran fine.
> Here's what i used:
>
> >From the laptop:
> % ssh -2 -N -f -L 2401:anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:2401 gateway
> % su -m
> # export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@localhost:/home/ncvs
> # cd /usr
> # cvs login
> (Logging in to anoncvs@localhost)
> CVS password:				<-- as pwd type anoncvs
>
> and then
>
> # cvs co -rRELENG_4 src

Thank you for that example.  It did help.  I'll have to correct this article
http://freebsddiary.org/cvs-remote.php as I think it's wrong with respect to
ssh tunnels.  I suspect I was using two sorts of tunnels and forgot about one
[i.e. tunnels via FreeBSD ssh client and tunnels via TerraTerm ssh client].

Here's what finally worked for me:

   ssh -2 -N -f -L 2401:cvs.example.org:2401 localhost

where cvs.example.org is the hostname of the cvs server in question.

Componding the problem was my entry in /etc/inetd.conf.  The path I was
supplying was incorrect.  e.g. I had /usr/local/cvs/fbsd instead of
/usr/local/cvs.  After correcting that I was able to check out from my
repository.

The next thing that concerns me is the following output from tcpdump.
Hostnames have been changed:

19:04:52.140672 host.example.org.1156 > cvs.example.org.cvspserver: . ack
660 win 17520 (DF)
19:04:52.140907 cvs.example.org.cvspserver > host.example.org.1156: P
660:697(37) ack 1346 win 17520 (DF)

Why am I seeing traffic on port 2401?

Given what I've read in man ssh, I'm hoping that this traffic across the wire
isn't actually on port 2401 and is encapsulated within the ssh connection:

     -L port:host:hostport
             Specifies that the given port on the local (client) host is to be
             forwarded to the given host and port on the remote side.  This
             works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side,
             and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connection is
             forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is made to
             host port hostport from the remote machine.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php