Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unofficial secondary nameserver?

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
> What's /etc/resolv.conf for? The ideal solution I'm looking for would be
> the ability for my rouge nameserver's IP to be listed once in
> /etc/resolv.conf (or similar places on Macintosh and Microsoft platforms)
> rather than multiple edits of everyone's /etc/hosts. Once its functional I
> have ways other than word of mouth to advertise its existence.

If you have people change resolv.conf and/or the nameserver settings
on their PCs then, yes, they will use you as a nameserver.

You will have to set this server up as primary in order for it to read
changes you make to your local zone files.  This means that you will have
to track the contents of the official zone files manually since those
two nameservers won't ever talk to each other.

Here's a better way.

If the only reason that hosts are missing from the official zone
files is that your admin is lazy^H^H^H^H thinks it isn't important,
you may be able to get her to delegate a subdomain to you.

That way everyone could see you and you would be kept up to date on official
changes automatically.  The only downside to this would be that instead
of addressing a machine like

	ping joespc

people would have to use

	ping joespc.mysubdomain

> I've read it cover to cover. Its put me to sleep many nights. I admit to
> not completely understanding what I read. Thats why I asked. Sorry to have
> bothered you.

Sorry for my tone.  Late night.

Zones are normally delegated based on departments, geography, network
layout etc..  But there is no technical reason why you can't delegate
a zone just for convenience.  Look at chapter 9 (Parenting) in
DNS and BIND and build a case for delegation to present to the admin.

Hope this was a little more helpful,
Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com