Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 23:05:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quote about open source

> By that reasoning, there can't be innovation in science either,
> because it's always been "open source" -- share your ideas, publish
> them, etc.  The idea of patenting scientific discoveries is pretty
> recent, and even so, the equivalent of "closed source" (hide your
> methods, reveal only your results) just doesn't exist -- because
> people know such things cannot be taken seriously.

You are aware that both Feynman and Dyson used Clifford Algebras
to do much of their ground breaking work, but did not share this
tool with their collegues, right?  Most of the early QED (Quantum
Electro Dynamics) work they did appeared to "skip steps" for most
of their contemporaries, who lacked these tools.  There was a lot
of "the proof is left to the student", which seemed like hand
waving.  Even today, unless you take your QED classes from an
extremely enlightened professor, you are likely to not ever hear
about Clifford algebras, and even get a theoretical physics
degree, without laying your hands on this important tool.

Another example (which is probably a bad example, because there
were national security reasons for non-disclosure) were the NSA
modifications to the IBM DES algorithm, which appeared to weaken
the cryptosystem to conventional (at the time) attacks.  It was
only 12 years later, when differential analysis was independently
discovered outside the NSA, that it became obvious that the
changes in fact strengthened the algorithm.

I am aware of a number of physicists who are working on what
I consider absolutely brilliant ideas, and who have made very
significant progress in predicting phenomena, going down their
roads less travelled, but who are completely unwilling to share
their work, except in a very small circle of trust, until they
have pushed it much farther.  One of these physicists literally
predicted the existance of the W particle _from theory_, and,
further, calculated its energy _on the nose_, back in the
early 1970's, and _still_ has only published bits and pieces.

As a more contemporary example, the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture
(that all elliptic curves have modular forms), which if proven,
proved Fermat's last theorem, was worked on by the mathematician
involved in total silence and isolation, until he believed he
had solved the problem.

Perhaps my favorite example is when Sir Edmund Halley went to
Newton, described his concept of a "comet", and asked Newton
to help him figure out what shape the orbit would take.  Rather
than embarking on a long project over many years, Newton thought
about it for a few minutes, seemingly considering whether to
undertake a project that would cost him a large chunk of his
adult life, and stated "an ellipse".  Newton, of course, did
not bother to tell Halley that he had earlier invented calculus.

Even without a patent system that permits patenting discoveries,
scientists are just as closed-mouth about "trade secrets" as
any industrialist who is in it for the money: money is not the
only reward one might seek, despite what western society seems
to have distilled down as the quintessence of life.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.