Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:03:57 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Second NIC doesn't initialize on boot

My FreeBSD machine is set up to be the gateway for a small office LAN.
Since May I've been having a minor problem with rebooting. We had a power
outage over a weekend, and I noticed on Monday when I came in that we
weren't connected to the Internet. Well, that's not uncommon; the school
breaks their connection pretty frequently. They're running Sun servers and
I don't think they're as stable as FreeBSD. When one of the teachers tried
to print something, though, I discovered the whole LAN was down. With
ifconfig -u I discovered that ed1, connected to the outside world was up,
but the card to the internal network wasn't. OK, ifconfig to the rescue,
set up the card, everything was fine again.  A couple of weeks later I had
some reason to reboot and noticed that the card failed to initialize again.
OK, use ifconfig, but this time I took a look at my rc.conf file. No
change, same settings that had been working for a couple of years:

gateway_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="lo0 ed0 ed1"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 203.151.134.104 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 10.3.16.125 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="203.151.134.1"

I can't see any reason for ed1 not to initialize. Any suggestions for what
else I should look at?

--
Roger