Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:10:34 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Ben Compton <peabody@naxs.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk Copying

On Sun 1998-09-06 (19:52), Ben Compton wrote:
> I don't know if you guys will help on this one or not but I am going to
> give it a shot.

Of course we will.  After all, we want to show you the errors of your
previous ways and show you the light, blah blah blah yackity schmackety.

Just kidding, but here goes:

> I am currently running RedHat Linux 5.0 on a 2.0GB Hard Drive.  I just
> purchased a 4.3GB Hard drive and I want to move Rehat over to the new hard
> drive.  I don't want to have to reinstall Redhat as I have already got it
> working properly.  I am wanting to do the move to allow me to split the HD
> into 2 2GB sections and have RedHat on one partition and then install
> FreeBSD on the other so I can run them head to head and see which one I
> like the best.  Is there any utility that would allow me to basically
> mirror RedHat over to the new hard drive?  Is there another way you can
> suggest to do this?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

This is best performed by booting from a floppy disk, and making the new
partitions on the 4.3gig, and then mounting the Linux partitions on both the
drives.

Mount the old partition in /mnt/old, and the new partition in /mnt/new.

Then:

(cd /mnt/old && tar cf - .) | (cd /mnt/new && tar xpf -)

This will use tar to mirror the old partition onto the new partition.

You can do this without the floppy disk, but it's slightly more complex, but
it's basically the same, just remember to use the "-l" or
"--one-file-system" options to make sure you don't recurse into your
mountpoint.  I'm not sure what options Linux tar takes, but I imagine it'll
be one of them - man tar also helps.

In the tar manpage, also, it says:
>     To move file hierarchies, use a command line like this:
>          tar -cf - -C srcdir . | tar xpf - -C destdir

Hope this helps

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner