Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2018 11:01:35 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: Is maximum swap usage tunable?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 10:03:21AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> What are you using to measure the power with?
> The average DMM is not going to see the rapid pulses of
> noise that increase with current consumption that can
> lead to "odd behavior".  You need a good and fairly
> fast scope to truely rule this out.

Alas, no scope, just a DVM. But, there are four other RPis on
the same outlet strip, three running 11-stable are trouble free,
the fourth only started running out of swap with the latest revision
of -current..

> Also the GPIO header is a good electrical distance
> from the SOC and much of the noise would be filtered
> out before then.
That would qualify as a hardware failure, but what could
cause it, and why only after recent upgrades to the sources?

> But atleast you have confirmed your not sagging VCC down
> to 4.75 or 4.5 as I have seen on some of the power power
> bricks used to run *Pi*'s with.
>
> It would probably be benificial if someone could duplicate
> to a reasonable degree your failure mode, this would make
> a hardware related problem less likely as the cause.

I think that might be coming, what with Mike's lastest report in
this thread. Could the new thread Re: Strange ARC/Swap/CPU  be
related? I haven't been watching wired memory, on the Pi3 it's
at 160MB about ten hours into buildworld.  Idle time is zero,
swap usage is at 51MB with essentially no activity. If there are
other things to check please tell me. Are there any explict swap
performance tests that react quicker than make buildworld?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska