Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:44:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   more make install questions/FreeBSD memory questions

howdy, I've been trying to install perl on my machine using the ports
tree.  I've used CVSup, then I cd'd to /usr/ports/lang/perl5, then I type
"make install clean."  It works up to the point where the FreeBSD patches
are applied, then it says, "2 out of two hunks failed, saving rejects to
Configure.rej."

Now, a few details about my machine's hardware:  it's a cobbled-together
133-mhz machine with only 8 megs of ram (well, for the time being).  and
I'm managing to run X on it (which I know is cutting it pretty damned
short).  When I posted this question to the list a little while ago,
someone suggested that it might be my lack of ram that's causing the
problem.  However, when I leave X and try to make install clean, I get the
same error message.

I'm still pretty new to FreeBSD, but I've managed to install other ports
that seem to be much more memory and CPU-intensive than perl.

If the lack of ram's the problem, then I'll wait a few weeks until I can
buy some more.  However, if there's another suggestion on how I might get
perl up and running, so much the better.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Alissa
running 2.2.7