Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:28:47 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Soren Dayton <dayton+freebsd-fs@overx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much work to make nullfs work?

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 01:44:59PM -0500, Soren Dayton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would really be interested in using a loopback mount.  What sorts of
> work would be involved in making this work?

Quite a bit.  I've started some of it, but have had very little time
I've been able to dedicate to FreeBSD since ~christmas.

> How/when did this get broken?

The full breakage came With the VM system re-vamp right after 2.0.
There are a bunch of lock bugs and similar which also create problems,
but they're not quite as severe as that breakage (but this breakage is
spread throughout the system, and needs quite a bit of work to clean
up).

I have patches for both fixing some of the major problems (VM object
aliases, for instance), and for debugging the locks, and for some of
the lock problems.  Yell if you want them.

McKusick also said he was going to start working on this when he came
back from vacation, but I'm sure he'll appreciate help (e.g, fixing
more of the lock bugs, which I'd like to do, but don't know when I'll
have time to do more of :-(

Eivind.