Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:29:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>, Benedikt Schmidt <BeSchmidt@cloaked.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't allocate color

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Benedikt Schmidt wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 05:01:53PM -0400, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to play tetris in a GNOME terminal.
> >
> > # xtet42
> > Can't allocate color
> >
> > What should I do? I am using FreeBSD 4.0-release.  Thanks.
> Do an "echo $TERM" to see what TERM is set to. If its set to xterm add the
> following line to ~/.Xdefaults (create the file if it doesn't exist):
>
> *termName:              xterm-color
>
> now "echo $TERM" (after restarting gnome-terminal) should show "xterm-color"
> and color should work with _all_ applications.

Your method does not seem to work and I can not find a prototype Xdefaults
anywhere in the whole directory.  Thanks anyway.  I have solved this
problem with two ways:

(1) use startx -- -bpp 16 instead of startx
(2) Or reconfigure X, choose 1024x768 and 16 bpp for the Modeselection (I
was lazy and did not do this).

My machine is Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook.  Even if the card is ATI Rage
Mobility-P, I choose the basic Mach64 as the video card.  I have to wait
for a while each time I startx. I can not say I configure everything
right.  Thanks for your help.

-Zhihui