Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:40:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        roam@ringlet.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8-PRE (and earlier) crash - syncookies?

In article <local.mail.freebsd-stable/20030304115918.GA554@straylight.oblivion.bg> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Hi,
>
>I think this has been going on for a couple of months; unfortunately, I
>cannot remember exactly when it started :(  Several machines, which have
>always been updated synchronously at intervals of a couple of weeks or
>so, have been experiencing panics every few days with recent 4.6-STABLE,
>4.7-STABLE, and 4.8-PRERELEASE kernel+world.
>
>Attached is the kernel config and a gdb session of the most recent
>crashdump.  Maybe the most interesting part is at the end of the gdb
>session: is there a normal reason why a TAILQ structure would have a
>null start pointer, and an end pointer pointing back to itself?

[ ... ]

>#16 0xc01b2768 in syncache_insert (sc=0xcb870b80, sch=0xc0eeeb7c)
>    at /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_syncache.c:289
>289			sc2 = TAILQ_FIRST(&sch->sch_bucket);
>(kgdb) print sch
>$1 = (struct syncache_head *) 0xc0eeeb7c
>(kgdb) print *sch
>$2 = {sch_bucket = {tqh_first = 0x0, tqh_last = 0xc0eeeb7c},
>  sch_length = 4294967295}

It looks to me like the tailq is empty (first == null, last == &head),
but the code path to remove an entry was taken because the length
counter indicated it was over the bucket limit.  sch_length == -1.

So my guess is the code dropped a syncache entry twice, and this is
the resulting mess.  Can you print out the contents of tcp_syncache
and tcpstat?
--
Jonathan