Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:04:00 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG (Greg 'groggy' Lehey), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 00:16, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> Do not, I repeat DO NOT change the default editor from vi.  Go ahead and
> make it really really easy for someone to choose another one - it is
> already quite easy.

For you, yes!  That's the point. If you are immediately confronted with ee,
le, nedit, whatever, you know PRECISELY what to do and will do so immediately
at little inconvenience to yourself.
Consider however, my being confronted with the vi screen and taking twenty
minutes searching documents to find out how to get out of there!  NOT nice.

> But changing the default editor is a bad bad idea.
> It works well under every environment - even some you newbies can't
> imagine exist.

If we can't even imagine it, I guess we won't be confronted with it too often
:-)
Please remember we are only talking about the "instant workstation" install -
the very thing a newbie might find helpful.  I don't think there has been any
discussion (yet <g>) about changing the vi default for other types of install.

--
Regards,
Brian