Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:22:15 -0700
From:      "Joe Parks" <pleaseworky@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   will dump / restore work on directories rather than filesystems ?

Hello,

I have been successfully using dump / restore - first I do a dump of a
_filesystem_ with a command like this:

dump -0a -f /my-dump /dev/da0s1a (make a dump of / filesystem)

And then I restore it with:

restore -x -f /my-dump (while my pwd is where I want to extract it)

So far so good.
---------------
But now, I would like to dump only a subset of the files on a filesystem.
That is, I want to dump, and only dump a specific directory structure.

I tried this three ways - with the dir structure in mind as my pwd, I tried
a '.', the full path without a trailing slash, and finally the full path
with a trailing slash.  Here are the results:

server# dump -0a -f /my-dump .
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Dec 26 08:50:58 2001
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping . to /my-dump
DUMP: bad sblock magic number
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

server# dump -0a -f /my-dump /full/path
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Dec 26 08:51:22 2001
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /full/path to /my-dump
DUMP: bad sblock magic number
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

server# dump -0a -f /my-dump /full/path/
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Dec 26 08:51:24 2001
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /full/path/ to /my-dump
DUMP: bad sblock magic number
DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

As can be seen, it did not work.

So the question is, how can I `dump` a subset of an entire filesystem, and
not the entire filesystem itself ?  I am against using `tar` for this, since
the subset in mind has special files in it (/dev - like files), etc., and I
have read carefully the comments of freebsd-core members who have said, in
the past:  "use dump or you will lose".

Your comments/help appreciated.