Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 2021 19:50:44 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yet another (fatal?) pkg upgrade error

I'm trying to work out what I can do to get around the problem(s) described
in my prior message, and now it appears that even the "pkg info" command is
seriously malfunctioning for some unknown reason, making the resolution of
that prior problem all that much harder.

Specifically, in response to the following command:

    pkg info --file /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0

I get only the following rather unhelpfuland uninformative error message:

    pkg: archive_read_open_fd: Unrecognized archive format

What is the solution for this?  It appears that some data base file
somewhere (where?) is most probably corrupted.  (I don't believe that
corruption was in any way my fault, but I am altogether less interested
in assigning blame at the moment than I am in just fixing the problem(s).)

So, what data base file, specifically, is corrupted and how many I recreate
or regerenate it again into a "good" state?

And why doesn't the above error message provide me with even the slightest
clue as to what file, exactly, has gone goofy?  Would it have been all that
hard to include the pathname, you know, just as a small courtesy for exactly
such situations?