Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 2020 11:43:00 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfce4 using 100% cpu

On 04/04/20 11:29, tech-lists wrote:
> Hello Guido,
>
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 11:17:37AM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
>
> [...useful things to try...]
>
> I've tried the first suggestion to no avail, and the xorg log shows nothing
> untoward. Then again I'm unsure what to look for. I guess the next step
> will
> be to use truss.
>
> I've read elsewhere that high cpu use could be caused by software
> rendering,
> although I doubt (but I might be wrong) that is what's happening here,
> otherwise wouldn't it happen with windowmaker as well?

Not sure, since we don't know the cause everything goes. Anyway I don't
think that's the case, it would have been reported by more people.

> There is something else - the second highest cpu use in top is something
> called wrapper-2.0. I have no idea what this is but it's not invoked when
> windowmaker runs.

That's part of the XFCE panel, so, it's xfce spcific.

By second highest CPU process what do you mean? what's the WCPU reported
by top? could you post output of 'top -d 1'? Even abridged to the first
few rows.

> I think perhaps the very first thing to try next is just startxfce4 &

Everything is worth a try, although, I've never seen such behaviour so
I'm not sure what you should try. It's all trial and error.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org>