Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2018 08:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 05:07:20PM +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:05:16PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > The criteria for exception are:
> > >  - Popular in applications where it is likely to be deployed beyond the
> > >    support lifetime of FreeBSD 12 (late 2023).
> > >    - 5 reports of uses in the wild on machines running FreeBSD 12 will be
> > >      deemed satisfy the "popular"
> > >      requirement.
> >
> > Why doesn't reports of uses on machines running FreeBSD 10/11 count? I don't
> > get it. 12.0 isn't even out yet, and most of our users are probably not
> > running CURRENT. As I wrote in an earlier email, I have lots of these cards
> > running in production - and most of them are on FreeBSD 11. They'll
> > likely be upgraded to 12.1 in the future (but probably not 12.0 - I usually
> > skip .0 releases). But doing the jump to CURRENT/12 now is just out of the
> > question - these are production systems after all.
>
> For the current poll, good faith intent to upgrade is fine.

What I am finding very bothersome at this point is that a great
miss understanding has been conveyed onto the users by the
statement that "core has discussed this and we plan to proceed
as proposed"

>From a posting by Warner that statement is incorrect, this WHOLE
fcp-101 is up for discussion and shaping.  Right here above is an example
of one thing that needs to be corrected in the FSP, the criteria
is incorrectly stated if infact as "good faith intenet to upgrade
is fine."

I also saw another person state that the "5" user number appears
to be very arbitrary.  I agree.

We should NOT be taking the pole until the FCP itself is approved...
as altering the FCP could greatly effect the outcome of that pole.