Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:54:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kblob discussion.

>* Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com> [000619 15:10] wrote:
>> > It doesn't bother you at all that cdrom.com can push 100mbit
>> > and support 6000 users on FreeBSD but Joe Average FreeBSD User
>> > can't because the hacks used aren't available?
>>
>> Huh?  What makes you think that cdrom.com uses "special hacks" to get
>> its performance?  Have you actually talked to David Greenman about
>> this lately?
>
>I'm quite sure cdrom.com has at least a kernel address space hack.

   Yes, the kernel virtual address space is greatly increased. This doesn't
involve any special code, however. Otherwise the kernel is stock with only
kernel config file and sysctl tuning.
   Most of the ability to handle that many users comes from a pain-stakenly
optimized ftp server that I call 'dg-ftpd'. It's true that I have not made
that available as freeware, but that's my perogative since I wrote it.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.