Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:56:02 -0400
From:      Devin Smith <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re(4): Wyse terminal emulator?

Combining two responses...

>Today an application hardcoded to Wyse 60 terminals is about as
>appropriate as a razor that takes flint blades.

Yep. My company decided that instead of programming things well, it was
easier to check the term type and refuse to run if it wasn't wy60.
Couldn't tell you why exactly. At least not without resorting to profanity.

>It also might be amusing too because you may find that the HP apps don't
> actually work 100% right with the real McCoy - useful ammo to use to beat
> the system admins over the head who are beating you over the head about
> using FreeBSD.  They can't very well argue that your real wyse 60 terminal
> is incompatible with the wyse 60 terminal emulation you need to run! ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion of getting a wyse terminal. I didn't give the
whole picture: I should have said that I already have a Wyse terminal, I
just wanted to be able to see the surface of my desk which is completely
covered with the wyse terminal and monitor for the BSD box right now.

Strangely enough, the sysadmins want to get rid of Wyse's themselves, as
it makes their job harder (they have to have Wyse terminals taking up
space on their desks too (or use Windows...)).  The real problem is with
the programmers who all use Wyse's and refuse to code for anything else.
Of course, these are people who can't change their email client without help.

--devin