Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:54:48 -0500
From:      "Joshua Briggs" <zero_josh@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation problem...

Let me first start by telling you what equipment I have.  I am running a 200
Pentium with MMX ( the BIOS date leads me to beleive it is from 1997 ), I
have two CD-ROMS, one is the old ATAPI Mitsumi that came with this machine
and the other is an ATAPI Generic ( I guess, it doesn't have a name anywhere
on it ) 40X, I have a new Western Digital 20 Gig hard drive, and 160 megs of
RAM.  Now let me tell you what is happening with my install.  Everything
seems to work great until I pick the Distribution and choose CD-ROM install.
  After I choose CD-ROM install it asks if you are sure you want to proceed.
  It works for about 1 minute and then bunks up.  I did what the book said
and hit ALT-F2 to see /dev/ttyv1 and it goes well until it gets to
/stand/cpio.  When it gets there it says the following messages over and
over for 2 to 3 minutes before it fails: 1) Invalid header  2) No file found
or something and 3) Skipping (whatever the byte amount) bytes of junk.  And
then finally after sysinstall gets to around 40% of the bin distribution it
sends an error message to the screen, it says WRITE FAILURE! wrote -1 of
(whatever) bytes.  What does this mean?  Is something wrong with my hardware
or the way the BIOS is set up.  Please get back with me.

PS - I am a newbie